Cutting or Trim Tooling
- Forged Dies – Forged cutting dies incorporate the longevity of permanent dies while providing the economical approach of steel rule knives. The forged die also allows close trimming to part geometry, the ability to resharpen knives, the application of heat to reduce cutting pressure, the ability to cut tall or deep parts. Mechanical ejectors can also be incorporated which assure part removal that is not always available with ejection rubber.
- Punch Tooling – Matched metal or punch tooling is manufactured by Zed Industries for trimming perimeters, vent holes, slots and contoured automotive parts. Punch tooling is mounted to a separate die shoe with leader pins for precise location, where tolerances of .0001″ to .0002″ are required. Tooling may include such features as locators, part ejectors, vacuum pick-up and slug removal. Typical applications may be thermoformed lids, cups, medical trays, berry trays, tomato liners, fruit containers, clamshells, automotive appliqué, in-mold decorated parts and many more.
Heat Seal Tooling
- Blister – Carded blister heat seal tools are manufactured from precision laser cut maple die board with locating pins to properly orient the blister and the blister card. Most blisters can be sealed with a universal flat hot plate, which reduces the overall cost of tooling and eliminates changeover times. However, when these hot plates are required, Zed Industries offers Teflon coated, machined aluminum hot plates for this application.
- Clamshell – Hot/Cold clamshell sealing provides high speed, an alternative to time limited and expensive RF, UV adhesive or Ultrasonic heat sealing methods. Seal tools are manufactured from aluminum with exclusive Zed “air-suspension” framework for easy loading. Seal anvils are machined from solid aluminum and have release coating to ensure the product does not stick to the surface of the tooling. Quick-change features are incorporated to allow tooling and anvils to be changed in minutes.
- Heat Seal & Trim – Seal and trim tooling combines both the feature of heat sealing and trimming in one operation. This approach is ideal for applications such as: small blisters that would require expensive handling when loading; blisters or medical trays that incorporate foil backed paper or other lidding requiring perforations or score cuts; master blisters with cards that may be more economical than purchasing individual pieces, or applications where critical cut and seal tolerance is a necessity.
- Medical – Premium and validation ready, Zed Industries heat seal tooling is manufactured exclusively for the medical industry. Tooling features non-particulate finishes including anodized aluminum, engineered polymers, Teflon coating, enlube, and a variety of other approved surfaces. Precision molded or lasers cut gaskets are easily replaced and available in a variety of durometers to ensure adequate adhesive flow. Exclusive locator pins allow precise positioning of trays and lidding and ensure quick placement for operators.
- Product Load Templates – Load templates allow operators to accurately place product on master skin cards in a consistent and efficient manner. The cost of these templates is easily off-set by the increase in production and improved product placement. Our laser department provides product load templates manufactured from a variety of materials including acrylic, polycarbonate, wood and others. With the ability to work via downloaded files, our delivery may be as quick as 24 hrs. Request a quote today!
- Steel Rule Dies – Steel rule dies are an excellent way to cut products for both production and prototype applications. The precision laser cutting of the maple die board ensures part compliance from CAD to finished components. Steel Rule Dies offer quick turn-around and can be typically manufactured and shipped within 24-hours. Large Components such as automotive fabric dies shown in the photo can be trimmed economically and accurately with steel rule dies. Steel rule dies are the preferred method for cutting finished skin packaged master boards. Zed Industries offers laser cut steel rule dies for highly accurate trimming and quick turn-around. These dies can be bolstered to allow for tall parts to be cut. A variety of hanger holes and corners can be provided. Please contact us for our standard design.
- Master Tooling & Stackers – Zed produces master tooling and stacker tooling for all brands of thermoforming equipment. Our in-house tooling department is staffed with experienced detailed oriented craftsmen to provide all types of tooling such as: water cooled bases, pressure boxes, risers, bolster plates, strikers, relieved striker plates and stacker tooling. Give us a try, I think you will like our quality, delivery, and pricing!
- Molds – Form tools and molds are machined from solid aluminum to produce male and female tools. These molds are water cooled for precise temperature control and optimum running speed. The Zed engineering team starts from customer-supplied prints, solid models, sample trays or start from an initial concept. Typical products for thermoforming may include blisters, clamshells, medical trays, cups, lids, plates, pharmaceutical or tablet packages, and heavy gauge products.
- Plug Assists – Zed utilizes the latest in plug assist material to provide customers with the optimum plug assist specific for the thermoform being utilized. The plug assist material includes: syntactic foam, B1X, aluminum, Teflon coated and composite materials. Heated plug assists are also available and can be quoted for existing customer tooling.
- Pressure Box – Machined aluminum pressure boxes feature adjustable walls and large volume air to increase cycle speeds or reduce downtime. Boxes feature quick change mounting devices, tail pin plug assist mount, deflectors, exclusive Zed Industries cool-blow system™, deep part capability (over 12″ deep), safety pressure release. Pressure boxes come in a variety of standard sizes and can be manufactured to specific customer requirements.
- Water Cooled Bases – Precision machined aluminum water cooled bases are manufactured with CNC machining centers in the Zed tooling department. These bases are ideal for mounting either male or female thermoform tooling, and may include risers to provide the total shut height required. Use of the optional mold temperature controller allows the operator to control the mold temperature accurately and produce consistent thermoformed parts. Zed manufactures water cooled bases and mold plates for all brands of thermoforming equipment.
Laser Cut Tooling
Laser Cutting – is a technology that uses a laser to cut materials, and is typically used for industrial manufacturing applications, but is also starting to be used by schools, small businesses, and hobbyists. Laser cutting works by directing the output of a high-power laser most commonly through optics. The laser optics and CNC (computer numerical control) are used to direct the material or the laser beam generated. A typical commercial laser for cutting materials would involve a motion control system to follow a CNC or G-code of the pattern to be cut onto the material. The focused laser beam is directed at the material, which then either melts, burns, vaporizes away, or is blown away by a jet of gas, leaving an edge with a high-quality surface finish.
Our laser cutting can cut your product within +/- .001 for almost any material including: steel, wood, poly carbonate, acrylic and silicone.
At Zed Industries, we can accommodate projects that require one laser cut part up to an unlimited amount. No project is too big or too small.
See also our Sister Company for more info: National Steel Rule Die
If you would like us to quote a Laser Cut project,
please fill out a request for quote: Laser Cutting RFQ Form